Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Like I've always said... It's whatev.

Random thoughts from today:

RT #1: What if I had to choose between being blind or being deaf?
This thought came across my mind while driving home from work today with the radio turned off. I was trying to imagine what life would be like without the sweet mosaic of voices and instruments that provides such a vast majority of my entertainment. So... deaf or blind? I weighed the pros and cons of each according only to the knowledge I posses about these two conditions- which honestly is very little compared to those who are in either of these situations, or those who are close to people who are.
As a blind person, I know I would miss out on many things... the beautiful sights of this world, the sunset I love so much, certain sports, driving, looking in the eyes of the one I love, photographing all the random things I do... so many things. But maybe I would I "see" the world from a different sort of perspective. I remember the line in the movie Ray... "I hear like you see. Like that hummingbird outside the window, for instance." It's as if Ray's senses are finely tuned to work against his disadvantages. And maybe life is beautiful in this way.
When I think about being deaf, the first thing to enter my mind, obviously, is all the music I wouldn't get to hear. Music has largely influenced who I am on a personal level, as well as my ability to praise and worship. I contemplated the idea of creating music in my head and "listening" to it that way, but I feel my creative abilities (and lack thereof) would only last me so long. Basically what this random thought boils down to is that I can't decide which I would choose. Therefore this random thought is somewhat pointless... Hm.

RT #2: I'm really not looking forward to Ring Dunk despite the fact that it's a huge Aggie tradition. Why? I hate throwing up... and it's simply inevitable; if you chug a whole pitcher of beer as fast as you can, you WILL puke it all up! Unless you're Chuck Norris. In Chuck's case, he would chug the beer then pee it all back out in drinkable form and serve it to the guests who would gladly drink it. Or he would use it to christen a baby. Either way.
But anyways, I AM looking forward to getting my Aggie Ring. My calendar is marked: November 13th- Ring Day.

RT #3: Why is the ice cream in my freezer named "French Silk"? It's basically a swirl of sweet cream and chocolate with chocolate chunks. What about that is French? Who's to say that's not German? Or Indonesian? Why don't they call it "Australian Silk"? By using the word French, the name implies sophistication and elegance for an otherwise ordinary ice cream flavor combination.

RT #4: I wonder how long it's going to take me to complete the Obannon's beer tour. 74 beers and I have 2 years left in this town...

RT #5: Miley Cyrus's show really isn't all that bad. Especially when David Koechner plays Hannah's "Uncle Earl."

RT #6: Today is my Dad's 62nd Birthday. Is he going to live to see his grand-kids? I should probably call and wish him happy Hanukkah...

For Whatever Wednesdays,
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment