Friday, July 17, 2009

A good cup of joe, plus a little extra

I like to come here when I'm headed home. A little place off I-35 that has some of the most delicious drinks; a cozy, eclectic atmosphere; a great backyard venue; and some sweet unfamiliar but comforting tunes playing over the front-room speakers. The temperature inside is perfect and the aroma of coffee beans is never overbearing. The baristas are always friendly, and if I might add, fun to look at. There's always someone working behind the counter rocking an off-beat indie style, or someone who is just so stinkin' cute! So of course this ads to the allure of the shop. From the mismatching furniture and fabrics to the scrolling iron on the doors and walls, Common Grounds in Waco, Texas is a very inviting place and will always remain a favorite of mine. On this morning's trip, I ordered "The Irish Stew." Espresso, soy milk, Irish cream, and their "secret sauce" all mixed and poured over ice makes for a savory treat that's sure to cure your sweet tooth. Yum-E!

I headed home today to celebrate my dad's 62nd birthday/retirement. After my quick stop in Waco my day went as follows:
drove 65 mph on I-35 northbound
listened to 102.1 the edge
met Dad at subway
split a 5 dollar foot-long (chicken bacon ranch on honey oat)
talked about death (wow... happy birthday to you)
talked about life
went to my hair appointment
got my hair dyed by Amanda
talked about haunted places
talked about writing
talked about a lady who brought a ruler to the salon to show Amanda what she meant by 2"
sat for almost an hour while a fairly new girl did my blow-dry
got very internally frustrated
prayed for God to give me patience
chatted with Fairly New Girl about boyfriends
learned that Fairly New Girl has had a kinda rough life
decided I was glad Fairly New Girl did my blow-dry
rushed home, frenzied (but didn't speed...)
put my hair in a pony, frenzied
decided Amanda did a great job on my color
took a deep breath
took Dad to meet up with Mom and sister at Posado's
tried to not let it slip that a few other family members would be there as a surprise
shared in the surprise
caught up with cousin
ate soft chicken tacos
caught up with aunt
ate chocolate cake
videoed Dad singing "Happy Birthday" to himself
took pictures of Dad cutting his own cake
decided that when your 62 you just gotta do the celebratory part yourself
rode home with Dad
talked about commercials with puppies
talked about beer
talked about how I mispronounce words such as "tour," (which I pronounce as tore); "confiscate," (which I pronounce as con-fin-skate); and "espresso" (which I pronounce as ex-presso)
decided Dad's little surprise was a great success and was glad we got to visit with family

I'm looking forward to being here this weekend so I can spend time with the parentals, ride my bike along the Trinity, shop for a pair or sweet high heels, hopefully see a few missed friends, sit in a new spot to do my deep thinking, and who knows what else. Much is on my agenda... all things fun and grand! I hope you enjoy your weekend as well, and may the Lord send blessings your way!

For Fun Fridays,
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment